Hi again

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Aug 17 05:38:24 EDT 2004

HawkFan wrote:
> You have to look around, but there's a lot of new interesting stuff out
> there. I don't know much about the US scene, though I like the Von Bondies
> album and I think both Strokes albums are excellent. In the UK my recent
> favourites are the Razorlight and Libertines albums, Slipknot's latest
> album, the two Cooper Temple Clause albums and on a lighter note the Zutons.
> listening to Inferno, but sorry guys it sounds just like Motorhead always
> did. Lemmy needs some lessons from Dave Brock on how to move on.

Eeeek!  I can't say I think Brock's efforts to "move on" have been very
successful.  I mean: _Spacebrock_ and endless retreads that don't live
up to the originals.

Moving on is great, if the music is great.  And if Motorhead still sound
like, well, Motorhead, that's OK as long as it sounds good.  I don't buy
into the "evolution is always better" thing; I think "better is always
better" (though, obviously, better is subjective :)  Very few artists
seem to "move on" very successfully.  The Beatles, I suppose ....

For my part, the current UK scene isn't doing much for me, though it's
always possible that there's something amazing happening in some corner
that I've not heard of.  For me it just sounds like a yet another load
of vaguely depressed pop-rock acts, much as have dominated the UK rock
seen since the demise of overblown heavy rock (long may it reign ;)  I
pray to every god that I _am_ missing something here.  But hey -- this
may just be cultural conditioning, since I hear a lot of things I like
coming out of the US scene, more sorta improvisational and happening in
my book (but that's what I grew up on).

> There are also hundreds of old albums that I never got around to buying.

I have been expanding through back catalogs myself.  I figure any music
I haven't heard is "new" and anything I like is "good" :)  And my wife
is a raging Latin music fan, so I've been making some interesting
discoveres down that way.  And I got into some cool Americana and
jamgrass stuff through seeing a wide range of different artists at a
couple of Telluride bluegrass festivals, and keeping an eye on
up'n'coming artists playing Bonnaroo proves interesting.

Honestly, giving the zillions of years that people have been making and
enjoying music, what are the real chances that everything cool a) has
already been done, and b) happened since 1960 ;)  Pretty low, I reckon.
  So I reckon I've got plenty of awesome music yet to hear :)

> Actually if you risk embarrassing the kids and start asking their friends
> about music they seem to be remarkably ill informed. Most of them seem to
> have never heard of the bands mentioned above, or indeed precious little
> outside the top 40. Mind you I suppose it was always this way.

Yup.  I may have been 16 twice over now ;) but I remember the first time
;) and darned if most of the kids I knew did'nt know a damn about
anything that wasn't on MTV (though that was when MTV still played music
;)  'Course, the few of us were interested didn't know much back then
either -- this was before the internet put the whole world of music at
your fingertips -- but we did go forth and learn ..... :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson