HW: Please help

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Aug 17 10:28:45 EDT 2004

John Majka writes:

> > 1992 Hawkwind USA Tour 89/90

> I have a much-copied version of this video but would dearly like to
> have a more pristinte copy on dvd...  would it be possible to convince
> you of such a thing? I have a fair amount to trade if need be....
> John Majka jmajk at indy.rr.com

Well, Hawkwind have banned trading, but if it can be confirmed that they
definitely no longer sell the vide then perhaps something can be sorted.

I do have the Panasonic DMRE100 HDD/DVD recorder (as does Dave
apparently) but haven't quite workd out all the wrinkles about writing
to DVD. From a quick perusal of the manual I should be able to do an
S-video transfer of the VHS tape onto the hard disk. Then it would
appear that I can write it to DVD in PAL at least, and there's the
implication that NTSC may be possible (some translating from the
Japanese translation still to be accomplished). I have succeeded in
writing films to DVD. I have not succeeded in writing films with
chapters or whatever, and so you may not be able to jump to tracks
unless I can work out how to do that.

It won't be imminent though, I'm about to take some leave.  Meanwhile
perhaps someone could check with Hawkwind as to whether they're still
shipping that video and we can resume discussions in September.  Dave
did say that Hawkwind would like to look again at getting some of his
older video stuff out on DVD but I understand that he needs an archivist
to work out what's on what from when by whom.

Obviously I wouldn't want to preempt that by moving official releases to
DVD myself. Note also that my trades for the Bikefest video, which were
pre-ban, are still incomplete, so I have to be regarded as working not
in realtime but Hughes-Time.

FoFP