OFF: Re: Hi again

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Aug 17 18:38:58 EDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:38:26 +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>
wrote:

>Man, I gave up on radio when I was a teen; actually, from basically the
>first moment that I took an interest in contemporary "pop/rock/whatever"
>I realized that nobody was playing anything I liked on the radio.  Some
>college stations in the Boston area played some interesting stuff, but
>by then I was already dead set against radio and never really bothered
>to listen...
>
>I pick up new music by osmosis, I guess :)  Quite a lot from this list,
>back in the day (like Hawkwind, for example :)

This would seem like a good time to credit college radio for exposing me
to Hawkwind ("Psychedelic Warlords", WJHU [RIP] Baltimore, twenty[!] years
ago next month!) in the first place.  I would contend that if you live in
an area with decent college stations (definitely not the case in most of
the USA, sadly), you're doing yourself a major disservice by not tuning in
occasionally.  But then again, I'm fortunate enough to live in an area
with several good-to-excellent college stations (KUSF in San Francisco,
KALX in Berkeley, and KFJC on the peninsula ... Stanford's KZSU is pretty
good, too).  And heck, since it's on Sub Pop, probably every college radio
station in the USA has a copy of the new Comets On Fire album, so there's
a fine piece of space/psych/blanga-rock that you can call 'em up and
request.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com