OFF: Re: Hi again

Kevin Sommers novadrive at COMCAST.NET
Tue Aug 17 21:18:50 EDT 2004

Based on Doug's recommendation, I have to get this. But it was cinched when
I read this one-star "review" on amazon.com (keeping in mind that 'Blue
Cathedral' is actually the album title):
"Sometimes I pick up an album so wretched, so awful, so utterly irredeemable
that I'm compelled to review it, lest other's make the same mistake I did.
Blue Cathedral is easily the worst band I've heard since The Darkness. Not
that those two bands have anything in common, but I'm so completely offended
to have either band in my iPod that I want to magnetize the harddrive and
scour my eardrums with Ajax.
I got this album based on a foolishly glowing review from Pitchfork. Their
review compared Blue Cathedral to Hendrix or Zeppelin, but a more honest
comparison would have been Cream or Deep Purple. This is flat out 70s stoner
rock. Long winded solos, ham-handed drug fills, and instrumentals that
stretch 7, 9, 10, 14 minutes long, until you want to drive red-hot knitting
needles into your alimentary canals, forever protecting yourself from the
sonic blight of Blue Cathedral."
Can't wait to hear those drug fills.

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Doug Pearson
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 3:39 PM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: OFF: Re: Hi again

This would seem like a good time to credit college radio for exposing me to
Hawkwind ("Psychedelic Warlords", WJHU [RIP] Baltimore, twenty[!] years ago
next month!) in the first place.  I would contend that if you live in an
area with decent college stations (definitely not the case in most of the
USA, sadly), you're doing yourself a major disservice by not tuning in
occasionally.  But then again, I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with
several good-to-excellent college stations (KUSF in San Francisco, KALX in
Berkeley, and KFJC on the peninsula ... Stanford's KZSU is pretty good,
too).  And heck, since it's on Sub Pop, probably every college radio station
in the USA has a copy of the new Comets On Fire album, so there's a fine
piece of space/psych/blanga-rock that you can call 'em up and request.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com