OFF: Re: Hi again

Stephen Swann swann at CUGC.ORG
Tue Aug 17 22:24:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 05:38:26PM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> Man, I gave up on radio when I was a teen; actually, from basically the
> first moment that I took an interest in contemporary "pop/rock/whatever"
> I realized that nobody was playing anything I liked on the radio.  Some

See, the NY/NJ metro area is the first place I've ever lived
where radio really, truly just sucks ass.  Even in North
Carolina, where commercial radio is still stuck on Tom Petty
and the Eagles, there were still college stations.  Here, I
can get one decent college station, that has a low output
broadcast, and comes in poorly.

> I pick up new music by osmosis, I guess :)  Quite a lot from this list,
> back in the day (like Hawkwind, for example :)

I haven't been as engaged in chat groups and mailing lists
as I used to (well, I am, but not music related ones
recently).  And no new musical wave has come along lately to
wash away the crap currently on the radio.  For a while I
thought the "return to roots rock" movement of the Strokes
and Jet would do it, but they haven't ignited a revolution
yet.  And I'm also not convinced that going backwards is the
right answer to the problem.  I'm sure that somebody
somewhere is recording something that I would like.  The
problem is how to get to hear it, since Napster and its
clones got litigated out of existence, and (the once
awesome) MTv2 went pop-commercial...?

--
Steve Swann    | Speak to me in many voices, make
swann at cugc.org |     them all sound like one