OFF: Hi Again

mark.von-bargen at O2.CO.UK mark.von-bargen at O2.CO.UK
Wed Aug 18 15:19:23 EDT 2004

Stephen Swann wrote:
... And no new musical wave has come along lately to wash away the crap
currently on the radio.  For a while I thought the "return to roots rock"
movement of the Strokes and Jet would do it, but they haven't ignited a
revolution yet.  And I'm also not convinced that going backwards is the
right answer to the problem.  I'm sure that somebody somewhere is recording
something that I would like.  The problem is how to get to hear it, since
Napster and its clones got litigated out of existence, and (the once
awesome) MTv2 went pop-commercial...?

The Strokes, Jet, the Libertines et al are a complete waste of musical space.
What are they supposed to be? New punk, Post Rock, New Recycle, Old tricks
in new suits. Groups like the Godfathers did all of those tricks back in
the 1980's.

A bit of musical variety is called for these days while waiting for the
old favourites to produce some new output. So...
System of A Down - to fill those really HEAVY moments The Music - to add
the 70's freak-out vibe The Coral - for the 60's psyche tinged pop vibe
Foo Fighters - for the fun rock and the neat videos And King's X - for the
hell of it.

BUT, for a tune, nobody can beat Ken Dodd.
All together now >>

Happiness, Happiness,
The Greatest Gift that I possess,
I thank the Lord,