OFF: Comets (was Re: Hi again)

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Aug 18 20:46:51 EDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:18:50 -0700, Kevin Sommers <novadrive at COMCAST.NET>
wrote:

>Based on Doug's recommendation, I have to get this. But it was cinched
>when I read this one-star "review" on amazon.com (keeping in mind
>that 'Blue Cathedral' is actually the album title):
>
>"Sometimes I pick up an album so wretched, so awful, so utterly
>irredeemable that I'm compelled to review it, lest other's make the
>same mistake I did.
>Blue Cathedral is easily the worst band I've heard since The Darkness. Not
>that those two bands have anything in common, but I'm so completely
>offended to have either band in my iPod that I want to magnetize the
>harddrive and scour my eardrums with Ajax.
>I got this album based on a foolishly glowing review from Pitchfork. Their
>review compared Blue Cathedral to Hendrix or Zeppelin, but a more honest
>comparison would have been Cream or Deep Purple. This is flat out 70s
>stoner rock. Long winded solos, ham-handed drug fills, and instrumentals
>that stretch 7, 9, 10, 14 minutes long, until you want to drive red-hot
>knitting needles into your alimentary canals, forever protecting yourself
>from the sonic blight of Blue Cathedral."

Oh, man!  That's a brilliant review!  I have passed on that information in
the direction of the band :^).

>Can't wait to hear those drug fills.

Of course, I would highly recommend picking up their new album, but if
there's interest (I guess I should take this to Neo-Quark), I'll record
one (or both) of their upcoming shows for a tree (I've never bothered to
record 'em since I can see them every month if I want).

good article here:
http://www.sfbg.com/38/47/cover_comets.html

... and be sure to go to the bay guardian home page for the
three "sidebar" articles, including an interview with their audio-
generator/echoplex player:
http://www.sfbg.com/
(obviously, this link won't be appropriate after next tuesday, when they
put up the new issue)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com