OFF: Re: Hi again

Jean Lansford oystrgal at BELLSOUTH.NET
Thu Aug 19 07:57:07 EDT 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Stephen Swann wrote:

>Anyway, what I used to do was surf for stuff that I knew I
>liked, the browse that user's directory to see what else
>they had, on the grounds that if they liekd on of my
>favorite bands, maybe they would know of other good stuff
>that I hadn't heard of.  I can name about 30 CDs that I
>bought strictly because of Napster.

New Napster has tried to replicate that, within the limits of
their available music. YMMV on how well they did it. They'll also
build you a custom radio station based on your library or on
three tracks you select.

Amazon's ListMania is another attempt at doing the same thing,
one that I've put to good use in the search for books on obscure
subjects.

I'd suggest trying both New Napster and Rhapsody and seeing if
either suits you. (Rhapsody has To Helen With Love available. And
the BOC remasters. ;) ) I wasn't as impressed with CDNow.
--
Jean Lansford
oystrgal at bellsouth.net

Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to
write for the public and have no self.
- Cyril Connolly