BOC: early quadrophonic records

Stephen Swann swann at CUGC.ORG
Fri Aug 20 14:22:26 EDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 11:54:18AM -0400, Albert Bouchard wrote:

> I only remember T&M being in quad. Sandy did the quad mix right along
> with the stereo mix. The would get the stereo one then go right on the
> the quad version. I think they split the sounds among the different
> speakers. WWD was especially good in quad as I remember.

Hmmm... woulda sworn I'd seen a quad Secret Treaties once.
The reason I didn't buy it was that it was already long
after the heyday of vinyl, and I knew perfectly well that
I'll never, ever own a working quad system...

I personally thought it would be really cool to take those
old quad mixes and convert them to DVD Audio.  After all,
the Powers That Be never seem to have a problem with doing
yet another re-release/remastering of the first 4 BOC
albums, even though they never get around to doing Spectres,
which is MUCH MORE in need of it (heck they've even done
Cultosaurus, which sounded just fine!).

> How they got all that information into a little groove of vinyl I don't
> know but it did work.

Maybe some kind of sound matrixing, similar to analog Dolby
Pro Logic surround.  Boy am I just guessing wildly here. :-)
I should probably just google it, I bet somewhere there's a
technical page about it, complete with engineering diagrams
and the name and address of the who designed the system...

--
Steve Swann    | Speak to me in many voices, make
swann at cugc.org |     them all sound like one