BOC-L Digest - 28 Aug 2004 to 29 Aug 2004 (#2004-212)

Ted Jackson Tjackson at SYR.EDU
Tue Aug 31 12:57:41 EDT 2004

>>> CWarburton at OAG.COM 8/31/2004 12:32:46 PM >>>
>
> Bobby is one of the all time great rock drummers.  I've seen
> BOC twice with him and feel that he wasn't the right drummer
> for them anyway.  Maybe he feels the same.

Puh-leeze - he's adequate, he plays drums better than I ever could, but
"all time great"????
His lacklustre playing was a big factor in why BOC were so lame at the
Astoria last year (probably the worst show I've seen 'em do - in 28
years).  So lame that I went to see Nektar instead this year!

Nothing 'lacklustre' about his playing whatsoever.  Maybe a bit slick
and predictable for my taste, and granted, maybe not an all-time
great, but he's a very solid musician.  Do you think he would have
lasted several years with BÖC if Buck thought otherwise?

> When they opened with RU Ready 2 Rock last month (here in
> fabulous Utah), it was the most lethargic version of the tune
> I've ever heard.  Luckily the glucosamine kicked in about the
> 6th song (Shooting Shark) and they got off the deck and tore
> it up for the rest of the show.

Maybe you caught a bum gig?  I've seen BÖC with Bobby on many
occasions, and he's been great, ably doing justice to the material...

  I thought Bobby's playing
> with Rainbow and Black Sabbath was spetacular (not to mention
> him tearing it up on the Riot and Rondinelli albums) and his
> playing with BOC was rather plodding and lethargic.

OK, I jumped the gun a bit, but if you can't play great when the
material is so good, and the template was set by Albert...

There you have it.  Nobody really can follow Albert.  He's totally
unique, and he IS one of the all-time greats.  And, Bobby is a good
enough drummer to the extent of the band not expecting him to
merely ape Albert's parts, much as Rick Downey did...

> Hopefully they can get someone who is really interested in
> making the songs sound good and infusing some energy into the shows.

Hear ****ing hear - and maybe whover steps in will give the other guys a
good boot up the rear too! Here's hoping for a much improved London
visit in 2006 (or sooner?)

Heh, are you sure you want to see them again?

theo