"LIVE AT GLASTONBURY" Judge Trev and jaki Windmill - new RFM album

Sat Dec 11 10:46:50 EST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, trev wrote:

> Jaki Windmill is (or was) by far and away the best vocalist in Space Ritual.
> I don't think she was actually allowed to "sing" with that band though.  She
> is also a competent multi instrumentalist and a very talented songwriter.  I
> was surprised at her talents - which is why I'm playing duo stuff with her
> (She's got a van too).  She's also a bit mad, which helps as well.

        Enough people have defended her voice to me one way or another
that I'm being forced to admit I must just not have heard her sing
properly. Mad I can well believe however...

> You write very good reviews don't you - I mean accurate ones.  In one of
> your reviews you even noticed the bass playing of Terry Horbury (You didn't
> know his name) who sometimes plays with Outskirts of Infinity. Yes, he often
> "carries" bands by his superb playing and I think he's one of the best rock
> bass players in the country.

        I think a few people reading would quarrel about my accuracy being
100%! I've also only seen Terry Horbury playing with Ric Gunther as the
other half of the rhythm section and I think it's the power of the unit
there as much as the man himself though he's clearly an excellent
player. He couldn't for example save _Incident at Pilatus_ from being a
mainly boring album though. Needs the drummer too, and fair enough. I
can't think of a better bass player I've seen live though, some very good
ones but none managing to be so fierce and so musical at the same
time. Except maybe Lemmy, but that's a different game.

> Maybe you should review the MOAB album which may or may not ever see the
> light of day unless there's a major shift in the attitude of todays record
> companies (some hope). Contact me off-list if you want.

        Well, you know if you can get it out, given the people involved
and the reviews of your other collaborations, I'll buy it unheard
anyway. I hope you can. Perhaps when the new Krel finally comes out Andy
Garibaldi can be swayed :-) Yours,
                                   Jon

ObCD: Bedouin - _As Above So Below_ (also not a *bad* bass-player... )
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)