HW: Cambridge Corn Exchange, Friday 17th

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Dec 20 06:55:48 EST 2004

A few further useless observations :) ....

On 19-Dec-2004 21:39, Jon Jarrett wrote:
> Also playing through a Pod, both guitars (he started
> with a wood-finish one before changing to the decorated black one he
> usually uses) and sampler, but as there was definitely a real amp or two
> behind the thing it was still OK (don't like Pods for performance
> usually).

IMO, there's not much excuse for someone like Dave to be using a POD in
a gig.  Or, indeed, in the studio I assume he has on the farm in Devon.
 I use a SansAmp GT2 because a) I record in the bedroom, where there
isn't room for an amp, let alone enough sound-proofing to crank it up :)
and b) when I play bass live, I use a dinky little borrowed bass amp
that is warmed up considerably by the presence of the amp sim.

Presumably, though, Dave should not be constrained by either of these
situations.  Surely simply slapping the signal through a stock JCM800 or
GH100L has got to sound better than a POD.  A few stomp boxes and a wah
pedal ought to cover most of the effects that he actually has need of,
surely?  OK, a bit more processing in the studio might be normal, but
when you're out there in the country and and make your studio as
bunker-like as you want, why not just up a sodding great amp and moving
some air?  You can get away with that on stage as well :)

Likewise, `Ten Seconds of Forever' is a poem
> about the end of the world, or possibly about an aeroplane take-off as
> Mike H. insisted, it doesn't want a warm comfy synth backing something
> like `Kauai' which is what it got (though points to Dibs for a faithful
> reading, his contributions were, you know, familiar, but well-done at all
> points).

It occurs to me that the synths that Jade Man did for his "The
Awakening" remake matched the mood there _far_ better and more
appropriately than Hawkwind's synths on Friday's "Ten Seconds of
Forever".  Sure, Jade Man was explicitly aiming to reproduce the Space
Ritual vibe ... but hey!  It worked.

Cheers,
Carl

--