HW: Exeter Astoria and beyond

Fri Dec 24 12:03:46 EST 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> On 21-Dec-2004 21:17, Jason Gool wrote:
> > I was annoyed with the dancers by the
> > end, I thought they were over used and became too much of a
> > distraction.
>
> To be brutally honest, I've never much rated the dancers I've seen.  I
> mean, it's nice to see a band trying to put on a bit of a "show" in this
> day and age, but ... nah.  But now that I think of it, I do remember a
> Monster Magnet gig with some good dancers!

        The dancer stage left at Monster Magnet was, um. I'm not sure my
choice of words won't reveal that my appreciation was not 100% art-based.
But she was *really* enjoying her work.

        Hawkwind's dancers, Kris excepted obviously as she always seems to
have fun and add a certain amount of "Rargh!" to a performance, have never
struck me as terribly interesting, *except* the ones they had on the Love
in Space tour, where everything was very nicely tied into the show. The
trapeze artist during `Love in Space', for example, perfect complement to
the show.

        By contrast, Angie who dances for ICU and various other bits of
Nik's enterprises *can actually dance* and I've never had any objections
to that except the silly iDog she uses as a prop sometimes. It can be
done. For some reason Hawkwind's dancer however often don't do it, for me
anyway.

        I sometimes wonder who does the choreography and stuff for the
successful shows. Who is it that makes it work who's not there when it
doesn't, or is it just that whoever does is erratic? Yours,
                                                            Jon

ObCD: Motorhead -_Motorhead_
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)