HW: OFF: Monster Magnet/Right Stuff

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Fri Feb 20 09:13:16 EST 2004

Hey Folks...

Well, I picked up the ltd. ed. version of "Monolithic Baby"
(with bonus DVD) last weekend, even before the scheduled
release date (which was odd).  Anyway, I haven't gotten
around to posting anything about it yet...so here goes...

I've only managed two complete airings so far....but I think
it's a pretty good album.  It's clear that Dave Wyndorf will
sing any tune with the word "Baby."  So I guess that's why
he chose "The Right Stuff (Baby)" to cover.  So, I think it's
a pretty good version...*definitely* true to the blanga
spirit...with headphones on (esp.), one can really appreciate the
Lemmy-esque meandering-yet-rhythmic style of playing by bassist
Jim Baglino (who's pretty new to the band, right?).

So, the bonus DVD includes the two music videos, one for what
appears to be the intended hit single "Unbroken" (subtitled
"Hotel Baby"...again with the "Baby"!).  Uh, I doubt anyone in
the states is gonna see this one on MTV...that is, unless Viacom
is planning to keep nudity, blatant sexual imagery, and lesbian
kissing part of their on-air repertoire (following the Super
Bowl).  Perhaps they have a PG rated version as well?  If so,
it would have to be 60% replaced footage.

The Right Stuff video is, on the other hand, entirely clean, and
mainly just Dave flying a futuristic warplane through a animated
wormhole and such.  After awhile, it gets a little redundant.
On the website (just now refurbished, so check it out), it mentions
that the video is an extended version (roughly 90 seconds longer
than on the album), but I'm surprised at that, 'cause I thought
it seemed about the same length (I was trying to pay attention to
that aspect too...hmmm).  I'll have to check it again this weekend.

The two live tracks from the Astoria are "Radiation Day" and
"Monolithic" so they were obviously performed in concert before
the album was recorded.  It warns that they are 'bootleg' videos,
but really they are reasonably professional-looking multi-camera
edited works.  The sound is a little 'dampy' and 'muffly' but
having just seen/heard Hawkwind there, I think that's the fault
of the theatre more than the recording quality.  Everything's a
bit 'red' too, but maybe that was just the lighting guys.

And the interview bit is 17 minutes long, and snippets of one
longer session (that they had room for on the DVD for sure, but
chose only these spliced bits for some reason) that featured Dave
(90% of the time) and short bits with Ed (and another guy, Phil
maybe?).  Dave does speak for a half-minute or so about the
Right Stuff cover and the story of Cap'n Lockheed, so that was
cool.

So, ok, I dunno if this special version is going to be available
in the US, or what.  Here, it's on SPV, a German label, but
perhaps they're worldwide also?  I know they've moved off of
'major label' status everywhere...I saw an online interview with
Dave talking about what a relief it was.  Though I always think
of Spinal Tap and the suggestion that playing in smaller theaters
was just an indication of having a 'more select audience' rather
than waning popularity.  :) But I'll give Dave the benefit of the
doubt here...I mean the way the music industry is today; I think I
heard that we may be down to just *three* so-called major labels
soon (depending on Bertlesmann & Sony?).  So the 'future' in
'non-online' music IMHO must lie in niche indie labels I think,
if it in fact exists at all.  The 'big' business will soon
convert, yet again, to non-brick&mortar commerce (sadly).  As
Mike was just indicating (though I didn't read much of that
article to be honest, 'cause I'm not into it personally).

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  I also don't know if the DVD is PAL-only, region-coded,
or what.  (I'll try to check that, too, this weekend.)  But if
it's not to be made available in the US, and somebody really
wants one (that they are sure they can play), let me know.

P.P.S.  For cowbell fans, "Supercruel" features some of my
favorite yet.