ebay cdr

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Feb 24 09:35:10 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 02:44:19PM +0100, Henderson Keith wrote:

=> Make sure first that it's actually a *pirated* CD-R.  I say
=> this, because I bought an 'official' CD-R of the first ICU
=> album with bonus tracks.  I say official, 'cause it was sold
=> to me at "Nik's table" at the (sadly) final Strange Daze in
=> Cleveland.

It used to be that even official CD-Rs were explicitly against the
acceptable listing policies.  I think Mike of the One-Eyed Bishops
might have said he couldn't sell his CD-R albums through eBay because
of that.  But, I just looked at the policy for recordable material and
they are now allowed---so long as you make clear in the item
listing that you are the copyright owner of the material:

Note:

* A local band decides to release its latest album on CD-R. The band
  may list the album on eBay so long as it is clear from the listing
  that the band is the copyright owner.

* A buyer purchases an album on eBay that was released by a local band
  on CD-R. The buyer may not list the album on eBay, even though the
  band released the album on CD-R, because it violates eBay's Recordable
  Media policy.
<<<<<

(The above is from http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/recordable.html)

=> BTW, I don't know how to file a complaint, but I imagine that
=> the answer could be easily found somewhere in a FAQ on Ebay's
=> site without much effort

You can report items via the "Contact Us" section of the eBay site:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/index.html

There is a category for "Report a listing policy violation or
prohibited (banned) item" on the contact form.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa