HW: Was this the guy...

Nick Medford nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 29 20:12:37 EST 2004

>Eric said...

>>but I do know the band in question, Oneida.  "Seriously
>>fucking awesome"?  That may be overstating it a bit, but
>>they're certainly worth a night out.  Jerry(?) at AI has
>>described their music as as "[a] blast of interstellar
>>warp action and acid rawk".

Does anyone have any more info on this band? They're playing in London
(Camden Underworld) in May, and I'm tempted to go, mainly because The Heads
are supporting. I downloaded a couple of Oneida MP3's which are quite good,
something along the lines of a garage-psych/Sonic Youth mixture. I also
listened to a few sound samples at Amazon, and their "Anthem of the Moon"
album sounds pretty interesting, although I was less impressed by some of
the other stuff I sampled.

As for the Heads- many members of this list would go mad for this band I'm
sure. Think Stooges/Hawkwind/early Ash Ra Tempel, heavy psychedelic guitar
freakout music, a bit like a more focussed version of Acid Mothers Temple
in places, MC5/Pink Fairies rifferama in other places. Their influences are
fairly obvious and they won't be winning many awards for originality, but
they do make a fine racket. Check 'em out at:

http://www.the heads.org.uk

Nick