HW: Dave Brock's Guitar

Steve Youles youless at COX.NET
Fri Jul 2 21:12:40 EDT 2004

Hi Doug, thanks for the plug :-)

Dave's guitar from 71-75 looked from a distance like a Les Paul but was a
Dick Knight Custom.  The one Huw often played in 79-80 (and it came out
again at Blackheath 1997) was a white Les Paul Custom.  As this guitar of
Huw's has aged it has acquired a more yellowish sheen, much like the one in
the photos of Dave at UEA Norwich / Swedenrock.  So, I was wondering if it
*is* Huw's Les Paul.

Hawkwind's music has always seemed to me to demand more "Gibsonish" guitar
tones than Fender-like ones...Dave's Westone being halfway between the two
as it's a guitar in the broader Strat tradition, but he uses the humbucker
pickup on it.

Geek speak over.

Steve