Off:Re: Guitars (more Geek Speak)

CWarburton at OAG.COM CWarburton at OAG.COM
Mon Jul 5 10:02:21 EDT 2004

Michael wrote:

> Yeah that black guitar on out of the shadows is not a Les Paul.
> Sounds hot tho.

Actually, I could be getting my wires crossed - it might have been a Gibson Blueshawk rather the Guild Bluesbird, but they are kith & kin as alternatives to Pauls...

> Brand names should not be included in the first 3 reasons for choosing a
> guitar if one knows what to look for and listen for in a good guitar.

Absolutely, and the budget brands of the big companies aren't to be sniffed at, you just have to check 'em out more carefully - I have an Epiphone G400 (SG), and it's difficult to justify the extra cost for a real Gibbo.  The only real weakness is the pickups (which aren't actually bad) - I'm figuring on fitting a pair of Bareknuckle Warpigs to it to turn it into a real metal monster.

>cheap washburn guitars are ok to be smashed as well as squires.  Awful
>guitars both(the cheapo ones).

You're definitely wrong there - I have a BT9 Bandit, and it's a terrific axe.  Really slick neck, comfy to play and despite being a non-locking one, the whammy's not too disastrous for the tuning.  Granted it came from a guitar store with a legendary tech so it was well set-up, and it looks a bit messy under the scratch plate, but hey, for the money...  I've tried a few other Washburns - there's a BT-10 with locking trem and twin 'buckers from the same range in Andy's on Denmark Street, they want too much £££ for it, but it's another fab guitar.  The Idols are a good alternative to Epihone Les Pauls & the new X-Series are a good option for would be widdlers.

> and I hate cheap junk Ibanez guitars as well but I've heard some nice Ibanez models.

Sho' 'nuff - most of their guitars aren't my thing, but I've been quite impressed by the ones I've checked out recently.

The poorest thing about cheaper guitars generally is the quality control.  Just make sure that the one that you try (and like) in the shop is the one that you actually walk out with, and then give it some tlc and a good set-up.

TTFN
ChrisW