Advice on DVD media

Dave Turner dave at ESPARTNERSHIP.CO.UK
Tue Jul 13 18:57:21 EDT 2004

DVD- has the best compatability and tend to be cheaper than DVD+. Purple
is the best, apparently, with Orange (which I use) as second best. Look
for sellers of BulkPak DVD-, it's less than £15 for 25 DVDs. Cases bought
in bulk work out abour 20p each. Shop around.

I use ULead DVD movie factory, with which you can add scenes as a sub menu
from the main title screen. By compressing to MPEG-1 (VCD quality) I can
get about 3+1/2 hours on a DVD with menus & sound clips behind the menus.
Aparrently Nero 6 does the same.

ULead Video Studio is also a good bit of kit for joining/splitting videos,
but I have a problem sometimes converting.

EO Video is a useful, cheap converter/joiner with a play facility. I find
it easier that Windows Media as a player.

Older DVD players do have a problem with DVDr, but I've tried the Orange
BulkPak DVD- on a PS2 and they work fine.

One tip, in ULead it will tell you you are under 4.3Gb with the movies
(which is the write size after format) but don't try to write over 4Gb as
a rule. It can't close the disk. I found out the hard way.

Drop me a line if you want any more info.

Best,

Dave T.