OT: Hidria Spacefolk concert review

Mike Montfort mikemont at NYCAP.RR.COM
Sat Jul 17 22:37:37 EDT 2004

Hidria Spacefolk at Nearfest July 11th, 2004

Considering that British Airways lost their equipment until late Sat night
or Sun morning it was amazing how comfortable the band looked on stage.  How
many opening morning performances get an encore?  Frankly I cannot remember
if any have, and Hidria Spacefolk very much deserved it.  YES they sound a
bit like Ozric Tentacles in their early years (I personally think OT is
getting tired in their recent stuff). But this is a new band, with young
musicians who are evolving their sound.  As others have commented, who knew
where I was sitting, I was bopping big time to their swirling guitar and
keyboard work.

Of all the bands at NF04 this was the only one where I had actively searched
out their music by getting the first CD off their website, and taking one of
their shows with me.  So I was excited about seeing them and loved the
performance.  They have a great product, and should go far.  As I was
leaving the Strawbs show to go home, I had a chance to speak with the two
members who were fluent in English and expressed to them that they had a
great sound that was very popular in the US now with the JAM BAND circuit.
I encouraged them to look into spreading their sound through the Phish /
Dead model of freely traded recordings and touring.  Time will tell.
Because they were yet not truly unique in their sound, though it was very
enjoyable, I give the show a B+.

Michael Corwyn Montfort, esq.

http://corwyn.blogspot.com
the blog
http://www.mikemontfort.com
the website
_________________________
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities.
The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly
submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously
uses his intelligence.
-- Albert Einstein

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities.
The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly
submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously
uses his intelligence.
-- Albert Einstein

Space is deep!
<P>