HW: Assault and Battery Live

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Jul 29 19:23:07 EDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:02:58 -0400, Steve Youles <youless at COX.NET> wrote:

>Well I prefer the Friday Rock Show Sessions version to the one on Live
>Chronicles, but doubtless others don't.  Yes, I think A&B was originally
>omitted from Live Chronicles for contractual reasons, and only got added
>on after these had been resolved, hence the Griffin release has it where
>the GWR version didn't.

The "Live Chronicles" version of "Assault & Battery" (in the medley
with 'Sleep Of A Thousand Tears') was originally released by Flicknife on
the B-side of the "Zarozinia" 12" single (both later appeared on the
Flicknife CD of 'Chronicle of the Black Sword', as someone already
mentioned).  So presumably Steve is correct and it didn't go on the
GWR 'Live Chronicles' since Flicknife had the rights.  Which is different
from the reason that the Moorcock poems weren't on the original
(GWR) 'Live Chronicles'.  Fortunately, Robert Godwin is not Doug Smith, so
Moorcock consented to their release on the Griffin version :^).  NOW, if
only Griffin had included the encore medley on their 2-CD version (gotta
spring for the DVD for that), it would have been the perfect Chronicles.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com