Glasters

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Tue Jun 1 12:05:57 EDT 2004

Mike asked...

>I see Space Ritual are lined up for the Avalon Field. Also "Six By
>Seven". Could this be another Hawkwind cover band?

I just looked them up on the internet.  The short answer is 'no.'
They have a 5-year (plus) history of original works, that I guess are
in the neighborhood of psychedelic music, but not really Hawkwind-like.
e.g. Mogwai, Radiohead, gybe!, etc. are listed as 'similarities.'
www.sixbyseven.co.uk gets you to their homepage, via direct link.

But I imagine the band's name possibly *has* come from '7x7' as I also
discovered a 'spinoff' band called 'Earth the Californian Love Dream'
that features the same guitarist as '6x7' (Sam Hempton), and in a long
list of artists that EtCLD claim (effectively) as influences, Hawkwind
is mentioned.  And indeed, in this online biography, they are described as
"sound(ing) like Motorhead meets Pink Floyd...like Motorhead meets the
Beach Boys...like Motorhead meets the Carpenters...it's all about
sweetness and noise."

So, if Hempton was responsible for the other band's name, it's certainly
possible that it is derived from '7x7'.  Though why "6" exactly?
(There were five members in the original band, not six.)

BTW, both bands hail from Nottingham.

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  Anybody heard any of this stuff?  Any good?

P.P.S.  Apparently, the 6x7 lead singer (Chris Olley) grew up in the Ruhr
Valley, and so a few of their songs are in German.