HW RE: site for collectors CDr dodgy ness ?

David Dobbie david.dobbie at BT.COM
Mon Mar 1 11:56:40 EST 2004

Thanx for all your replies

I think you managed to understand my bit about record grades
I wrote
 > Always been dubious of NM, what does it mean surely a record is mint or e mean near mint?

I think I was trying to say its either mint or it isn't. I think I would except a record as mint if it looks perfect eg not the slitest bit of grime, scratch or worn looking grooves. I get fed up with Mint,  NM or M- gradings. that could only be EX or even worse I only buy these if the price is right. Allways been wary of Vinyl mail order, thats a scary world of crackles, scratches and drop outs. How do you know if a record has never been palyed and that doesn't allways mean its perfect I got Live Chronicles 2xLP on GWR / Profile still in unopened shrink wrap its way crackly good job it only cost me about £2 so thats cool.

Doug wrote

 > Any serious record collector/dealer will tell you that the only records
 > that are MINT are records that have never been played.  If a record has
 > been played once, but the vinyl is still in perfect condition, it cannot
 > be called Mint, hence the "Near Mint" (or "Mint Minus") grade.
 > -Doug (who, of course, wishes that everyone could buy a Warrior CD for £10)

too right and Quark  as well with big fat booklets double pack for a fiver
ok that is too much to ask for
is there some kind of licencing problem with these records?

I grew up in Nottingham and Selectadisc there use to get strange old stuff in brand new copies of stuff five or ten years old. I think these were just copies turing up at warehouses etc.

Love and Pax
Dobbie