Bedouin DVD

Alan Linsley alankerren at YAHOO.CO.UK
Mon Mar 8 15:47:50 EST 2004

Bought it, haven't played it much yet though, but your question
prompted me to dig it out and put it on, and I'm glad I did.

It's not just a Bedouin DVD, it's also one of those
document-of-the-event type things, with footage and interviews from
around the festival site and several numbers by other bands inc.
Spacehead and Harvey Bainbridge.  There are 9 tracks in the Bedouin
section.

The filming is basically one-camera stuff, with some good zooms and
close-ups.  It's in the same ballpark as the Huw Lloyd-Langton DVD that
was on sale last year, although filmed from further away and slightly
to the right rather than close-up on the left.  The light show is shown
fairly well.  It's not so dark you can't see the band but not so light
you lose all the atmosphere (the usual criticism of the Live Legends
vid for example).  The picture tends to pixilate a bit (if that's the
right word) if you look at it close up, but it doesn't make it
unwatchable or anything.  The band obviously aren't the most exciting
thing to look at, but you can't have everything.

I would say the sound is a "genuine" live sound, so it's rough in
places, but certainly much better than an audience recording if not
quite a top-notch cleaned-up sound.  It's more than adequate from a
listenability point of view, all the instruments are clear, well
balanced, stuff like the break in the middle of Ancient Light works
well with the synth, guitar and cymbals are coming through ok.  It
captures Glenn's guitar very well.

Track selection is the classic Bedouin set of their last year or so,
AASB, Rock Palace, Ancient Light, Dagger Dance, Elric, One Moon
Circles, Wings, Chasing The Dragon and finally Harvey joining them for
Coded Shouting at the end.  My only gripe is the unforgivable omission
of Vision Quest, but maybe they didn't play it.

I would say buy it, particularly if you like Bedouin already.  It's a
faithful visual document of Alan's band, and probably the only one
we'll ever get, given that they seem to have stopped gigging now :-(

AL