BOC a fanboy rerecords

Chris Allen beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 31 10:09:39 EST 2004

Inspired by Camper Van Beethoven's song-for-song re-recording of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk album, I felt an overwhelming urge to take similar steps and record a "re-imagining" of an entire album of personal significance to me.
I spent months agonizing, speculating and jamming along to records.
Would it be Black Sabbath (1st LP, Paranoid, Volume 4, Sabotage or Technical Ecstacy)?
Would it be ZZ Top (Rio Grande Mud, Tejas or Eliminator)?
Maybe AC/DC (Powerage, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap or Highway to Hell)?
Einsturzende Neubauten (Kollaps or Tabula Rasa)?
Scott Walker (Scott 4 or Tilt)?
Hawkwind (Space Ritual - the challenge of the double LP!)?
Masters of Reality (the first one)?

All of the above had problems, either I couldn't generate the right noises or I couldn't sing well enough.  So what to do?

But then it came to me - Blue Oyster Cult's Secret Treaties.  It's a work of genius IMHO, and it's not technically that difficult to play convincingly.  So rehearsals have begun!
To be honest, the only bits we're having difficulty with is getting the drum and bass parts and their interplay sounding right - it seems the brothers Bouchard had a difficult to emulate groove back in the freer days of the early 70s.
Maybe this is just because as a guitarist I taught myself how to play *by* copying other players (Tony Iommi, Buck Dharma, D Boon), but as a bassist I didn't because I already had the notes and the dexterity I just had to work out how to play it in context.  Who knows?

So, we'll be recording our humble efforts this coming Christmas - who wants a copy?

Chris.

---