Help with all this digital stuff?

HawkFan hawkfan at RATSAUCE.CO.UK
Thu May 6 13:28:07 EDT 2004

>OK, that makes sense. So what bitrate would give CD quality?

192KHz is good enough for playing back on a PC or probably one of the little
MP3 players. 128KHz is about as low as you'd want to go and audibly worse
that 192KHz.

Where I'm not fussed about file size I rip at 320KHz. This is pretty near CD
quality. On your average Hawkwind track I'd be surprised if you could tell
the difference :-)

Remembering back to the days of Walkmen, cassettes used to make the sound
duller and less dynamic. MP3 compression doesn't seem to do that as even on
a high compression it still sounds lively and the bass is good. It seems to
make the sound a bit shallow, if that's not a strange metaphor.

JR