OFF: Help with all this digital stuff?

Albert Bouchard ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 7 06:57:34 EDT 2004

On May 6, 2004, at 9:32 PM, Doug Pearson wrote:

> (Sorry I can't help with any of the DVD stuff - I know squat about
> those.)

Having just put together the Brain Surgeons DVD I know a little about
it. Your recorder must have plenty of room to store the materials for a
DVD. There are three main formats, 2 consumer formats that look
virtually identical and one commercial format that most of the DVDs
that you get at the video rental place are in. All the formats play on
most newer DVD players. The difference is in storage space, menu
mapping, surround channels, extra audio tracks. Consumer formats are
limited to around 90 minutes of video, stereo sound and no extra audio
channels and 4.7 gigs of memory. The other thing is price. Commercial
recorders start in the 5 figure range and require a completely dust
free environment, not the sort of thing you'd have in your house.
It's a complicated subject and your best bet is to get a copy of
Videomaker or some such video magazine and do some research. Good luck.
Al