BOC/OFF: the Jams,. kicked out or otherwise

Fri May 14 08:34:35 EDT 2004

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Jason Scruton wrote (quoting John MacIntyre):

> >Kick Out The Jams.  If you don't like that, there's no need in going any
> >further.  Absolutely, positively, do not start with Back In The USA.
> >That album is a textbook example of the difference a producer can make,
> >in this case for the worse.

        Speaking as someone who did just what John says not to, I heartily
second his advice. There is almost nothing good that can be said about
_Back In The USA_, and I think what there is can be put in the three words
`Human Being Lawnmower'.

> The jams, for the 5, -- I'd say be 'props'. in the context of The original
> phrase, "Kick out the jams or get off the stage", i'd say they're equal to
> lettin' everything go, do IT full throttle or not at all.

        Carl Anderson long ago challenged me to translate `Kick Out the
Jams' into Latin, following early successes with `rock and roll
motherfucker' and `swings like God's own dick' (yes, we were listening to
Monster Magnet now you come to mention it). I'm still at a loss to come up
with a handy *English* definition of `jams' here, let alone one that takes
into account the _Illuminatus!_ version... Yours,
                                                  Jon

ObCD: Sons of Selina - _Nour d'Oui_
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)