HW: Hawkwind and the Blues

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sun May 16 13:59:31 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Law" <dplaw at IC24.NET>

> i thought orgone accumulator was a direct rip off, well very similar
> canned heats "on the road again",

which was apparently originally recorded by The Memphis Jug Band in the
late 20s!

> the thing is with a lot of these old
> blues riffs is that they have been recycled on a number of occasions!

I know - I didn't mean to say it was 'ripped off' I was more interested
in discovering where the roots of the music style came from - all
musical composition can be said to be derivative in some way - it's less
a question of what you use, more how you use it.    I was wondering what
aspect catches my attention and I'm fairly sure it's the blues rhythms
that do it - every time!

Later in the programme the presenter was talking to a rap artist who had
become really interested in music styles and tracing them back and who
had then gone on to incorporate blues rhythms into his rap style.    Now
normally I don't bother with rap and wouldn't know one artist from
another but when I *listened* to the beat underlying his rap I heard
it - he had changed the tempo to make it more of a staccato beat but the
underlying driving rhythm was clearly a blues track - and that was the
hook that held your attention - probably completely subconsciously for
many people - but it was effective!

jill