HW: Hawkwind and the Blues

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Mon May 17 14:29:17 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 12:20:27PM +0100, pauleatonjones wrote:
>   I once wrote to the Hawkwind Feedback office when they were in west
> London saying that I thought that 'Time We Left This World Today' was
> surely influenced by the second movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony

Heh!  Dunno about that (I can't bring the 7th to mind -- guess I
don't know it as well as I thought), but there's a stock (read
cliché) techno drum-machine riff that I was amused to trace back
to The Sweet's "AC/DC", though played there by a real drummer of
course.  Imagine my astonishment at pulling out an old favourite,
Beethoven's 6th, and hearing that same riff in the first movement
-- only there it appears in the strings!

(The riff in its techno version consists of the drum machine
taking the lead for a bar, or is it two, of I guess they're 16th
notes (Doug, can you help me here? :-), then a bar-long roll,
then the drum machine cuts off suddenly while the rest of the
instruments go on to do something else.)

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau