HW RE: off into dodgy vinyl ness

Thu May 27 20:07:35 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Eric Siegerman wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:19:51PM +0100, Jon Jarrett wrote:
> >         I'm curious as to this idea of recycled vinyl; what was it being
> > recycled from? Not old records surely!
>
> There were rumours of this as far back as the late 70s.  We
> believed that funky-coloured records (red, clear, etc.) couldn't
> be made from recycled vinyl, and so offered a guarantee against
> that particular form of shoddiness.
>
> All of this was rumour and hearsay; now, I wouldn't bet a nickel
> either way on any of the above assertions :-)

        I didn't quite understand where they were supposed to be getting
the old records from, is all? Remaindered stock thrown into the furnace? I
suppose it could have happened... But actually I see Mike Montfort cleared
that one up, thanks.

> >         Oh, and while I'm on the subject, does anyone know if such things
> > as one-channel pre-amps are available which might solve my turntable
> > problem?
>
> I take it your amp is too new to have a "phono" input?  Yes, you
> can get a "phono preamp" to boost the turntable's outputs up to
> the standard levels expected by amplifiers' "auxiliary" inputs,
> computer sound cards, and other devices.  I've never used one, so
> I can't make recommendations.

        No, it's more complex than that. My amp has a phono input, but my
turntable has a very weak output. As otherwise it's gorgeous and they're
not easy things to get anyway, for the sort of money I have at least, I
need something that will whack up the voltage from the turntable to what
phono level should be. I suspect a phono to aux one, if it's fixed
voltage, will be much too powerful. I need some sort of variable resistor
with its own power supply I can tape in the right place I guess. Must do
some looking. Thanks everyone for responses on this yours,
                                                           Jon

--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)