OFF: 1/2 inch 8 Track Master Reel ( seeking help with mixdown and production )

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Nov 2 15:06:07 EST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:31:34 +0000, Burro Mike <sloterdijk at MSN.COM> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have a Master Ampex 10.5 half inch 8 track Master reel which I've kept
>in pristine shape since the sessions in 1987. There are 6 tunes in all,
>with the original track notes etc. I'm trying to see if anyone has a
>compatible piece of equipment, who might be interested in doing a re-mix
>project.
>
>These are excellent quality recordings, done in a professional studio, by
>the first band I fronted, 'The Observation' in 1987. There were two
>sessions, with three tunes recorded in each session..All the best...Mike
>Burro

I have a Tascam 80-8 that's biased for 456 (although it will still be
helpful if there are test tones so I can verify the bias).  With a Tascam
board of the same vintage (M50, IIRC), plus decent compressors (RNC,
Symetrix, UREI) and EQ (Symetrix, again).  However, Ampex tape from the
80s will *definitely* have to be baked (even if it's been stored in a
dark, dry location) before threading it into a tape machine, or most of it
will be left all over the heads/transport in the form of black, sticky,
gunk.

The only thing is that, being too busy for my own good, I can't promise a
rapid turnaround for certain.  But I like mixing stuff :^).

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com