HW/OFF: Arthur Brown material

Tue Nov 2 16:32:54 EST 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Steve Youles wrote:

> Very timely, this.  I've very recently added a review of Arthur's albums to
> Starfarer's Hawkwind Page.  It's written (not by me) from and for a
> Hawkwind fan's persepctive:
>
> http://www.starfarer.net/solowrks12.html

        I like that page, and would mostly agree with the reviews. It
doesn't go further forward than 1974, however, which is a pity as it's
with the later stuff I'd appreciate the guidance. Certainly the self-
titled Crazy World album is a classic, if with some odd choices of
material which the review explains, and I'm glad to see that someone other
than me thinks _Kingdom Come_ is a more satisfying album than _Galactic
Zoo Dossier_ (not that the latter isn't amazing, it's just more ethereally
so and there's considerably more to get one's rock teeth into on the
former). But this is what puzzles me, here's this man who in the 70s was
so full of odd rhythms that he decided a drum machine would be better than
drummer because of being able to switch between them effortlessly and we
finish up now with a live unit with almost no percussion at all and very
very simple rhythms indeed. Odd. I should have got the album by him and
Jimmy Carl Black as I imagine it doesn't suffer from this. But there's
another ten odd listed on <http://www.godofhellfire.co.uk> (top domain
name!) and I wonder what they're all like... Yours,
                                                    Jon

ObCD: Litmus - _You Are Here_
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)