HW: HW in advert

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Nov 3 12:31:47 EST 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:11:14 -0500, Eric Siegerman <erics at TELEPRES.COM>
wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 12:31:31PM -0000, Si Halley wrote:
>> Hawkwind classic 'Spirit Of The Age' is to be used on the new TV
>> advert for alcopop Red Square. The commercial itself has been
>> developed by Slinky Animation."
>
>Whenever a HW gig is announced, I find myself really wishing I
>lived in the UK (and start imagining ways to move there).  But
>every once in a while, a reason comes up to be glad I *don't*.
>
>This is one of the latter :-/
>
>I mean, the exposure is nice and all, but really!

I suppose it would be nicer if it was for a product I actually had an
interest in consuming :^) (I probably would've seriously considered buying
a Mazda, if the ad hadn't come out a year after I'd just bought a new
car).  But definitely a good thing if Dave & Bob's families benefit from it.

Does anyone know which version of the song is being used?  It would be
rather ironic if you could hear the original one (which would hopefully
then provide some extra cash to Ade, Simon & Simon, too) on the adverts,
but still couldn't legitimately purchase a new copy of the album it's on!

And who knows, maybe this will do for Hawkwind's career what those ads did
for Nick Drake's ... !

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com