What's the German for "Krautrock"?

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Sat Nov 13 08:22:29 EST 2004

Wilfried answered...

>Kräuter (Kraeuter if the Umlaut isn't shown) is a German word for herbs
>in general with Kraut = 1 of them if you don't know the exact name.

And the word "Unkraut" (where the German prefix "un-" generally means an
opposite, just like the English "un-" or sometimes "in-") means "weed" (no,
not *that* kind of weed...just 'weeds' you know), which I find really funny.
Un-herb, like a useless plant, so I guess it would follow that it should be
so.  Still, it's funny to me.

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  BTW, äu is pronounced 'oy' so Kräuter is 'Kroyter.'  And so yeah,
Löwenbräu is really "Loevenbroy" or something.  (I hope the umlauts come
through the SPC "filter"...otherwise you won't see them and then will be
confused.)