BOC: HW: Amazon Deal

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Nov 24 06:37:03 EST 2004

Stephen Swann writes:

> I wonder whether those Buy Them Together deals are prompted
> by people's actual buying patterns, or by selection by Amazon
> staff?  If it's the former, then how many of you are like me,
> partly responsible for that [BOC & HW] pairing?  ;-)

Besos was very into automation. I'd bet he has some data-mining
algorithms to track buying patterns.

Lately they seem to be introducing an Ebay type feedback/reputation
system too.

Apart from them being unable to find one thing (not a book) that I
ordered, I've been a happy bunny. I was also worried when they took over
Bibliofind, which I used to use, but their "Find it Used" service has
proved pretty damn good also. The only trick is having to compile orders
so that I don't have to pay postage.

FoFP