Off:Oresund Space Collective

SHLL (Scott Heller) shll at HAGEDORN.DK
Mon Nov 29 05:35:28 EST 2004

Hej

Yes... Jon, we are going to do some editing and release some edited versions on CD-R with artwork and make them quite cheap as well. The full length versions will remain on the web for sure!

As for not being as heavy as you expected with members of Gas Giant in the Collective, well.. Stefan Krey, guitar genius in Gas Giant, has yet to join. His first session with us is on Dec 17th!

We have a session this Saturday and Eduardo (www.sgt-sunshine.com) and Tobias (www.the carpetknights.nu), will both join so I expect this to have a more heavy Hawkwind driving vibe.

The guy playing the great jazzy keys, is Ola from Bland Blanden. Amazing musician. He also had a techno act called Derango. Dark psychedelic trance... phew.. heavy stuff...

Thanks for enjoying..

scott

www.oresundspacecollective.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Jarrett [mailto:jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK]
Sent: 28. november 2004 14:33
Subject: Re: Off:Oresund Space Collective

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, SHLL (Scott Heller) wrote:

> I know a lot of people out there in the Hawkwind musical realm would
> like to hear about a new project that I have started. It is called the
> Øresund Space Collective (www.oresundspacecollective.com). It is
> musicians from Malmö and Copenhagen (the Øresund bridge connects the
> two cities) and we get together as often as we can to make free form
> space rock improvisations. It contains members of Mantric Muse, Bland
> Bladen, Gas Giant and the Carpet Knights. We have had so much fun that
> we will start to play concerts next year as well and maybe record a
> CD. Anyway, we have a few hours of jams up on our web site. I would
> love to hear any comments people have..

        There's a *lot* of material there :-) Given the mentions of Gas Giant above I was surprised how jazzy it is, mostly down to an excellent and clearly jazz-based drummer I think. More Quarkspace/Melting Euphoria than Das Ludicorix therefore despite being essentially the same aim as the latter project. I don't really go much on Quarkspace, finding them rather sterile on what little I've heard, but this is more like my idea of fun. Not to say I dopn't wish for a solid blanga riff or chord sequence to get set up at times, but the patches when all the musicians were attuned enough to jump from idea to idea with each other are worth a good deal of waiting, especially as the `hold music' is so pleasant.

        If this stuff was going out onto disc, a whole load could be done with editing; not brutal excisions, but I'm thinking of possibly the best Das Ludicroix track, an epic called `Frozen Other (My Wings Are Like a Shield of Steel)', which came out of a 22-minute piece which did, unlike a lot of DL pieces, manage to change direction entirely midway through and this is the main reason why it's so blinding; but the other reason is that Larry edited out a lot of the indecisive wandering from the middle where the lead guitarist tried out new shapes to fit in the space and developed the one he eventually settled on for a while till he'd worked out its full range. Makes the transition sound a lot more unexpected and startling. Is this cheating, though? I mean, the uncut version is quite fun too...

        Anyway, if *I* were creative director I'd be trying to make it heavier, but not everyone's tatses go that way obviously or Quarkspace would have no following, and I'd recommend having a go at `Feet', `Flying Free' and `Tolkien Jam' especially. Yours,
                                           Jon

n/p: I dread to think. Benedict is playing with children's television websites. My time will soon come...
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)