Off: No-Frills SpaceRock

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Oct 1 05:38:41 EDT 2004

On 01/10/2004 10:16, CWarburton at OAG.COM wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>> >
>> > Well, yes. But I've been saying this for years and every time
>> > I say it I seem to have even less money[1] than the too little
>> > that prevented me agreeing to in the first place... [1] I
>> > leave aside suchtrifles as my complete lack of musical talent
>> > naturally.
>> The whole point of no-frills spacerock is that [1] doesn't
>> matter so much :)  At least, I've never let it bother _me_ :)
>
> Doesn't bother me too much either - there are enough ways of blurring
> the edges (fuzz-boxes, oscillators, ring-modulators *heh-heh*)
> My problem is that everything between my elbows and the loudspeaker
> conspires to produce scuzzy blues-rock.

Well, what is spacerock but the sound of drug-crazed Mongolian shamans
with powerful amplification equipment trying to play the Dr. Who theme
as scuzzy blues-rock? :)

> However, between my V-Amp and
> some of the more extreme settings on my Alesis GuitarFX, I can at least
> make swooshy noises & sinister industrial/interstellar clatter.

Twiddling the knobs on the old delay pedal will get some good swoosh,
too.  Though I figure spacerock guitar really ought to just riff along
crunchily while proper audio generators 'n' synths are called upon for
swooshy noises.

I mean, isn't Motorhead just Hawkwind except faster and without the
swooshy noises?  And isn't Motorhead also just basically scuzzy blues
rock?  So there ya go :)

>> Tune up?!  My strings will all start to break!  (I mean, even
>> faster than through the normal process of corrosion :)
>
> You could always *koff* BUY NEW STRINGS!

Hmmm, a _radical_ idea, but it just might work! ;)

> I have also seen a debate concerning the whys & wherefores of taking
> your bass strings off, tossing 'em in a pan of boiling water for half an
> hour and then restringing when dry.  Sounds iffy to me, but if your
> strings are in a terrible state in the first place, what's to lose??

I did actully break a bass string in rehersal earlier this year :)
Admittedly, I had never changed the bass strings that were on the
instrument when I bought it in '95, so I guess they had a good run :)
Then I decided to be a string nazi and get exactly the gauge and brand I
wanted, which turned out to mean ordering them from Germany.  Sheesh.
But I got 'em in the end.  I really ought to get another set for when
these break in another 10 years :)

I've already got a random pile of different brands of guitar strings,
and tend to slap any ol' new string on when an old one breaks.
Actually, I think my mandolin has a mismatched string on it as well ....

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson