Elric

Stephen Swann swann at CUGC.ORG
Fri Oct 1 10:05:32 EDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 08:29:21AM -0500, Rich wrote:
> >Tenuous way to start a thread maybe but;
>
> >Did anybody else see the banter about a proposed trilogy of films to be
> >made
> >about Elric perchance, wondered if this was a sensible discussion in
> >Hollywood or just noise on the mail groups ? This stems from a brief
> >surf
> >around last night in a moment of sheer boredom, work can be like that
> >after everyone else goes home ya know.
>
> Moorcock sold the rights to Universal, and the Weisz? Brothers who did the
> American Pie Series are writing/producing with alot of input from Mike.  The
> first film is being scripted based on Dreaming City and Elric of Melnibone.
> In theory Universal are fast tracking the project, to cash in on the post
> Lord of the Rings Fantasy Boom.

I had an email exchange with Mike Moorcock a little while
back (I was looking to use Elric in a little online
writeup), and I was kind of shocked to hear that he had sold
the rights to Elric lock, stock and barrel.  He doesn't own
anything to do with the character anymore.

(Needless to say, I dropped the idea.  Asking permission of a
known fan-friendly author is one thing, approaching the
IP-obsessive lawyers of Hollyweird is quite another.)

--
Steve Swann    | Speak to me in many voices, make
swann at cugc.org |     them all sound like one