HW: Huw, Assassins of Silence

Mon Oct 4 03:40:54 EDT 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Ian Jeffcock wrote:

> BTW, anyone looked at Huw's site recently, there are a few MP3s up there:
> 5 demo tracks from Huw's late 70's band Jawa, including a great version
> of Rocky Paths for all you Huw era Hawkind fans! Definitely worth checking out!

        Following this up, I have to agree, those MP3s are worth checking
out, but two questions spring to mind as a result; the first is, what on
earth was Simon King on at the time? He's really very far from his best
here, considering what he was doing the year before and the year
after... The second thing is, in those files about guest appearances I in
some sense maintain, of which the revised versions will be going public,
ooh, any year now, I have Huw and Simon down as being in a band called
Quasar in 1978; I'm guessing this is the same band, but does anyone know
for sure?

        The other thing that's up on that website which is worth
mentioning is a video of snippets of a fairly recent guest slot by Huw
with the Assassins of Silence. Now, I've not seen the Assassins, but if
that's what they're usually like I may not bother... It's like Hawkwind
with all the life sucked out of it! Perhaps the video isn't catching the
ambience properly, and as the site maintainer says there is a quite just
concentration on the dancer, but still. Something about the vocals and
pace. Ah well. Am I being unfair? Yours,
                                         Jonathan

--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)