OFF: CD Rot

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Oct 18 08:27:05 EDT 2004

On 18/10/2004 13:12, Henderson Keith wrote:
> Bummer that it's QSC, a rather rare disc, but not so tragic as I believe I
> have a Griffin copy back in the US in storage.  But anyway, was just curious
> as to whether anyone else had problems with this particular disc, or else
> Virgin CDs of the same era.  This one is rather 'early generation' of CDs
> and suppose that the quality/durability of more recent discs against things
> like CD rot has been improved.  The only other disc I had problems with was
> the Dovetail "Pungent Effulgent" (Ozrics) which (like many of those old PDO
> discs) simply became unreadable by any player.  I forgot to check to see
> whether this one was also a PDO disc.

My old Virigin _QS&C_ did the same thing quite a while back.  Rare or
not, I think I ditched it when the Griffin one came out (since I'm only
interested in the music, not the media :)

My old Dovetail _Live Underslunky_ has looked rotted for years (a weird
bronze color), but still plays/reads fine.  I had a Tull live disc from
Strange Fruit (?), I think, which was reported to have CD rot and the
company actually sent a new one to anyone who asked, if I remember
aright, though mine never actually failed to play (I think I might still
have both of these, somewhere ....).

Cheers,
Carl

--