Circle Gig in London Last Friday

Alastair Sumner alastair_sumner at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 19 11:21:59 EDT 2004

I just wondered if anyone else from the list went. Circle were delayed
because apparently someone spilt Red Bull on the mixing desk so they had to
fetch another one. Consequently I had to leave way before the end to catch
a last train home. A real downer. What I saw though seemed unbelievably
intense to me. Pure driving hypnotic rock that just seemed to go on and on
and expand into different layers. This was the first time I'd seen them
headlining and they really shine when they are given the space to do their
stuff. About time to in my opinion. These guys are easily one of the best
bands out there. They take the repetition/hypnosis thing further than
anybody else. And although you can hear elements of other bands in there
(think Can with a Hawkwind riff) you can't accuse them of imitating anyone,
they sound so original. Some people don't like the singing but I think it
sounds amazing live and just adds to the strangeness of their sound. I was
really impressed.