OFF: sappy prog

Wed Oct 27 05:58:24 EDT 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Chuck Rosenberg wrote:

> In a message dated 10/18/04 4:16:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK writes:
>
> > Caravan got everything I don't like about the whole jam-band thing
> >  going. Nice bunch of people, apparently, but I won't complain if I never
> >  see them play again. I've certainly never dared try their albums, even
> >  though the two biggest fans I know are into much of the same stuff as me
> >  (one of them's a death metaller who used to run Rise Above Records
> >  website, for heaven's sakes--what?!).
>
> Lee Dorian, wot?? ah, haven't listened to some old Napalm Death or Cathedral
> in a while... (hey, chris??) see ya in a few months, jon? chuck, whose
> appearances are becoming even more seldon than thou...and who's currently on the
> brink of sleep-deprivation delerium, while having to go to work in a few
> hours...withdrawals from alcohol sure are a bitch...if that's what it is... nevermind,
> and this ain't sappy prog - n. death.  celebrating my 10-year boc-l
> anniversary, remembering when i was just a wee lad, charles the grinning boy only
> still...who where or what would i be now if i hadn't joined?? c

        <snip>

        I now feel I have to point out that my mail turnround is currently
down to less than ten days :-) Watch out... But no, I don't know Mr Dorian
himself, just his erstwhile webmaster.

        I recently read Stuart Maconie (British music journo)'s
autobiography, which I thoroughly recommend to everyone and not just on
the grounds that it's called _Cider With Roadies_. He has a short but vry
pointed chapter about Napalam Death, with whom he once went on tour. It
doesn't seem to have been a happy experience for anyone concerned, though
Lee doesn't actually feature very much from what I remember. I shan't see
them in the same light again, in any case :-) Yours,
                                                     Jon

--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)