OFF: G For Germany - redux

Stephen Swann swann at CUGC.ORG
Mon Sep 6 10:33:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 04:16:36PM +0100, M Holmes wrote:

> Germans have to be the most friendly people on the planet and we had a
> great time visiting cathedrals, castles and Roman monuments as well as a

Some friends of mine backpacked across a lot of Europe a
couple years ago.  They were touring Germany at one point,
when one of them came down with a severe flu with fever.  He
basically tried to "walk it off", which proved to a bad
idea, and at one point they were in a cab and he pretty much
passed out.  The cabbie said basically "what are you
crazy?", and drove them to a hospital, and refused to
collect his fare.  The folks at the hospital gave my friend
care for his immediate syptoms, and insisted on keeping him
overnight for observation.  They didn't charge him for any
of the equipment, food, medicines or services.  Both of them
came back talking about how Germany was the friendliest
country that they visited.

"...for example, Germany, where everybody seems to speak
English better than the average U.S. congressperson."
--Dave Barry

--
Steve Swann    | Speak to me in many voices, make
swann at cugc.org |     them all sound like one