OFF: Motorhead

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Sep 7 11:57:47 EDT 2004

Jon Jarrett wrote:
> _Bastards_ is very good
> if you can find it, and I think _We Are Motörhead_ is almost the same
> consistently good quality as those two, albeit with slightly more retread
> material (the cover of `God Save the Queen' and the title track, which is
> basically `Ace of Spades' with new words). Thereafter you have to delve
> into stuff which has some brilliant moments, but where some of the
> material is filler and I think _Sacrifice_ and _Overnight Sensation_ fit
> in there, both good though.

_Bastards_ is definitely very excellent, though I count _Sacrifice_ as
no less so, and think I would actually pick _Overnight Sensation_ over
_We Are Motorhead_, but ...

 > after that, you may
 > as well admit you're going to get them all anyway.

... which is pretty much true :)  Even the "weaker" recent Motorhead
albums pretty much kick the ass of much of heavy rock, metal, or
whatever.  And I say that as someone who was about 4 when Motorhead
played its first gigs :)

> I don't have _Rock'n'Roll_, _No Sleep At All_,
> _March ör Die_, _Snakebite Love_ or _Inferno_ and so I can't say anything
> about those (well, that's never stopped me before but you know what I
> mean).

_Rock'n'Roll_ is not one of the strongest albums (though the "bacon
torpedo" line in "Eat the Rich" has a certain warped charm ;)  _No Sleep
At All_ is a plausible live album of late '80s Motorhead, with a good
selection of songs, and all well done -- though frankly either ye olde
_Hammersmith_ or the recent _Everything Louder_ CDs blow it away.
_Snake Bite Love_ I would describe as a solid album; definitely some
keeper tracks ... "Take the Blame" and "Love for Sale" are pretty cool.
    I ain't got _Inferno_ yet either, though I guess I should if I'm
going to catch the tour in a month or so!

I really need to pick up the 25th anniversary DVDs, since they can be
had for fairly reasonable prices these days.  I've heard Mikkey Dee say
he thinks the producers mucked up the drum sound, and I've heard others
say the direction is too busy, but I've also heard plenty of folks
saying "Woah, this is great!  Argh!", which is reasonably encouraging :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson