HW: Motorhead/Warrior CD Question

Alan Linsley alankerren at YAHOO.CO.UK
Wed Sep 8 15:54:58 EDT 2004

I have both discs, just played them in parallel (2 CD players, cued 'em
up, switching between sources on the amp) and they are absolutely
identical.

Now what *does* sound different is the two *demo* versions of
Motorhead.  I compared the Flicknife version - I was using the Mighty
HW Classics CD - with the later Anthology version - using the Anthology
Vol II CD.  Apart from the obvious edits (the Flicknife version has the
engineer confirming that the tape is "rolling" at the beginning,
Anthology doesn't, Anthology fades at the end, Flicknife doesn't), the
sound on the Flicknife version is poor compared to the Anthology
version.  If they're both taken from the source tape, squirrelled away
by Brock in '75 soon after it was recorded, then why do they sound so
different?  Maybe it's the transfer to CD, must try comparing to the
vinyl versions.  Or maybe I should just get a life.  Anyway, the
difference is particularly evident on the synth solo, where it's very
distorted on the Flicknife version.  And btw, don't tell me those
synths are '75, they've got to be overdubbed.  C'mon Doug P, chip in
here... ;-)

But, with ubergeek mode fully on, the main discrepancy is that "yo"
that Brock put on the Anthology version @ 2:41 (or just forgot to take
off?).  Anybody else ever notice it's not on the Flicknife version?

AL