HW: Motorhead/Warrior CD Question

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Sep 8 18:42:42 EDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:54:58 +0100, Alan Linsley <alankerren at YAHOO.CO.UK>
wrote:

>Now what *does* sound different is the two *demo* versions of
>Motorhead.  I compared the Flicknife version - I was using the Mighty
>HW Classics CD - with the later Anthology version - using the Anthology
>Vol II CD.  Apart from the obvious edits (the Flicknife version has the
>engineer confirming that the tape is "rolling" at the beginning,
>Anthology doesn't, Anthology fades at the end, Flicknife doesn't), the
>sound on the Flicknife version is poor compared to the Anthology
>version.  If they're both taken from the source tape, squirrelled away
>by Brock in '75 soon after it was recorded, then why do they sound so
>different?  Maybe it's the transfer to CD, must try comparing to the
>vinyl versions.  Or maybe I should just get a life.  Anyway, the
>difference is particularly evident on the synth solo, where it's very
>distorted on the Flicknife version.

These discrepencies could be accounted for by different editing/mastering
of the same version of the song.  For instance, the Flicknife material on
the Cleopatra 'Golden Void' release was heavily compressed at remastering,
while the same material on Anagram (?) was left relatively untouched at
mastering.

>And btw, don't tell me those
>synths are '75, they've got to be overdubbed.  C'mon Doug P, chip in
>here... ;-)

I, too, am quite certain the synth noises are overdubbed.  They sound much
more like an MS-20 (which Dave was using in the early 80s, when this
version of "Motorhead" was released) than EMS Synthi (which would
certainly have been used on the original recording in '75).

>But, with ubergeek mode fully on, the main discrepancy is that "yo"
>that Brock put on the Anthology version @ 2:41 (or just forgot to take
>off?).  Anybody else ever notice it's not on the Flicknife version?

OK, I'll have to go back and compare these.  This might be evidence that
the two versions are different *mixes* (where the "yo" was on a track with
nothing else on it, and Dave forgot to turn the track down when doing that
mix).

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com