OFF: Rush 35th anniversary tour concert

Jonathan Clark jonathan at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 10 09:50:50 EDT 2004

Eddie Jobson wrote:

> OFF: BTW the band were commenting at the stage of the book I am at that it
> is difficult to get a full sound as a 3 piece. Rush seem to have mastered
> this as they did a very good 3 hour set at Wembley last night. They even
> sneaked in a Who number, Eddie Cochran and a few chords of Day Tripper. In
> my opinion the tightest live performance I have seen since seeing Pink Floyd
> a few years ago.

I saw Rush a month or so back in New Jersey and I agree - they were
really tight, with a very full sound. Of course, Neil Peart could be
counted as two instruments on his own, and for much of the concert
Geddy Lee was playing bass (or keyboards), bass pedals and voice all
at the same time.

It was a really good concert - they played 4 or so tracks off Feedback
(their new album of cover versions), and a lot of old stuff. Staging
was great too - lasers, videos, an amusing video intro/outro (side note,
I like that they don't take themselves too seriously), and they were
flying the lighting trusses around during the performance for a new
(to me) twist. And what looked like a wrap-around bank of LED lights -
anyone know what these are?

Question about the sound: for this tour (and the last one) they have
a couple of clothes dryers set up on stage, tumbling away (they throw
the T-shirts in them to the crowd during the gig). But these are
miked up - they have stand mikes set up in front of them. Anyone
know if these are just a fake, or if they are using the sound for
something? Pink noise generator, maybe?

Jonathan