HW: Motorhead / Kings of Speed answers

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Mon Sep 13 14:58:03 EDT 2004

I did the multiple copies, play and replay, simultaneously and back-to-
back, trainspotting thing this weekend too...

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:22:29 -0400, Doug Pearson <jasret at MINDSPRING.COM>
wrote:
>There are 3 lengths/versions of Kings of Speed, one without overdubs:
>basic track: 4.25 (including 10 second false start / feedback)
>album version: 3.50 (missing false start, last 25 seconds faded)
>single version: 3.30 (guitar & violin solos edited from the album version)

Exactly what I came up with. It seems that the entire 20 second discrepancy
in the album/single version is in the instrumental break, so I was wrong
about that earlier. There are 3 distinct solo sections in the break - first
a double-tracked dual-guitar solo, then a guitar/violin section, then a
violin-only section. The dual-guitar section loses about 14 seconds (from
27 secs) and the violin-only section loses about 6 seconds (from 12 secs),
while the middle part seems to be retained in its entirety (20 secs).

>The version of "Kings of Speed" on the Griffin CD is the single version
>(3.30), not the album version (3.50).  Can someone with the Dojo version

The Dojo has the 3:50 full version.

>For the single version, the guitar solo is edited from about 28 seconds to
>14 seconds, and the violin solo from about 33 seconds to 27 seconds (which
>adds up to the 20 second discrepency).

Right, I jumped a bit ahead above.

Interestingly (or not), my vinyl of Warrior (Liberty - United Records (UK)
Ltd., manufactured in the UK by EMI, early 80s) has the timing for Kings of
Speed listed as 3:25, both on the outer sleeve and on the label, but the
track is the full-length version and matches the Dojo version.

>ObCD-R: Hawkwind - multiple versions of "Kings of Speed" and "Motorhead"

Ob standing for OBLIGATORY, everyone must immediately go play these at full
volume.

Stephan