BOC: A "dizzying excursion into Pearlman's world"

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Sep 14 04:28:50 EDT 2004

jswartz at mitre.org wrote:
> Personally, I was much more put off by some of the comments
> of Pearlman, Meltzer, and Krugman.  Of course, I wasn't in the studio
> with you guys, but I still think they take way too much credit for the
> band's successes, and have no qualms about pointing out how if everyone
> had just listened to them, the band would have had fewer failures.

I can't remember whether Pearlman, Meltzer, and Krugman were still much
involved by the 80s, but whatever advice was being taken in the wake of
(or contributing to) the Bouchard Bros. various departures was clearly
the wrong advice, whether artistic or commercial.  Up to and including
_FoUO_ ... well, there were stronger and weaker moments (artistic and
commercial), but that's true for any band.  But it's only up to and
including _FoUO_ that the work is indelibly branded in my mind as
"proper BOC".  Thereafter its divided between "Imaginos" (which is cool,
but not really BOC) and "BOC no longer on message" :/

I don't know if the trail-off after _FoUO_ is wholly due to a lack of
Bouchard and/or Pearlman/Meltzer/Krugman involvement, but its an evident
trail-off to me. Not that all the BOC output post-FoUO is bad; there are
definitely some good songs (I will, for example, defend "Take Me Away"
to the death and I even enjoyed some of the Bad Channels stuff :) but,
on the whole, it's been ... less than stellar ;)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson